California 2022 COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave Information and Processing Instructions (CPSL)
On Feb. 9, California’s governor signed SB 114, which creates new Labor Code Section 248.6. The law took effect immediately and is retroactive to Jan. 1, 2022.
It requires California employers to provide paid time out for certain reasons related to COVID. There is no direct tax or financial relief to employers for providing 2022 CPSL. Rather, it is a cost to employers over and above other paid time out.
The law applies to employers with 26 or more employees and to a number of public entities and covers all employees regardless of the number of hours they work.
AdvanStaff’s Support to Impacted California Clients
- AdvanStaff has created two forms for you to use when any of your California employees presents one of the reasons listed below and is therefore likely eligible for California Supplemental Paid Sick Leave.
- Both forms must be completed and immediately sent to your AdvanStaff HR Specialist.
- After forms are completed and sent to your HR Specialist, you will need to submit any applicable / payable hours for CPSL through payroll processing for the payroll on which payment must be made.
- AdvanStaff has set up specific codes for you to select in order to provide the appropriate information on payroll check stubs. Your AdvanStaff Payroll Specialist will work with you to determine what code(s) apply.
- Although AdvanStaff is providing this administrative support, the law has not been fully developed and not all provisions are completely clear.